Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Our Lives in Books

Inspired by Rebecca Mead's talk last week, what book (or books) do you find yourself constantly returning to? How have they shaped your life? For me, the Harry Potter series is one that I will never let go of. It was the first book series that I can remember obsessing over, especially because it felt like I grew up with him, Hermione, and Ron with each subsequent release. When my grandmother died in 2005, the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince the next day was a huge relief, 652 pages of normalcy amid funeral planning and extended family. So what are the books that shaped your life? Please share with us in the comments below!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it has to be Little Women. At some level, I'm sure I still categorize people (esp. women!) as Jos, Beths, Megs, or Amys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's mine too. I read, and reread and reread, my mother's copy. I think we all identify with Jo, whether that is actually our personality type or not.

      Delete
  3. I have several books and series I return to occasionally. Certainly Harry Potter, but also Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. While they're silly and entertaining, Fforde's novels have also inspired me to pick up some classics that I wouldn't have read otherwise, including Jane Eyre, Rebecca, and Anna Karenina, since their characters are referenced or even appear in featured roles in the Thursday Next books. Perhaps someday I'll even pick up one that doesn't have a woman's name in the title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep going back to the Sherlock Holmes stories I read as a boy. Actually, I've never stopped re-reading them. They are very soothing somehow. As a writer I keep returning to Pride and Prejudice to admire its perfection.

    ReplyDelete