Some comments from our final (Friday) discussion:
- Hurston arrests me with her writing.
- The discussion on the store porch about Nature vs. Caution (nurture?) is interesting and plays out throughout the story.
- In order for Tea Cake to get into the same jealous, suspicious frame of mind as Joe, he had to get rabies,
- Why can't we have a Leonardo DiCaprio Titanic ending instead of a rabies ending?
- The trial scene is another manifestation of the light vs. dark issue. The white women spectators sympathize with the light-skinned Janie while the darker-skinned friends of Tea Cake want to condemn Janie.
- Janie's shooting Tea Cake is an instance of her having self-agency.
- The title - Janie (and others in the novel?) are trying to figure out who God wants them to be. Or is it because God judges everyone that they are all watching Him?